Donna Mitchell - Consolation No. 2

  My personal review:      We had already discussed what a Consolation is in music in a previous article , as well as the possible sources of inspiration for Franz Liszt, the first composer to use the name Consolation for one of his pieces.      Donna Mitchell's Consolation No. 2 creates a calm, poetic, meditative atmosphere.      It is a piece in two sections, each of which is divided into three subsections, plus an introduction and a coda; its slow and leisurely tempo, as well as the constant accompaniment of arpeggios, are the main characteristic of this piece.      It is worth noting that the second section, although it feels like a restatement, has certain variations (especially in the second subsection), which create some interest for the listener, which is further enlivened by the surprising coda.      Mitchell's social links:      YouTube (Channel 1)      YouTube (Chann...

Different styles, but, after all, music is music.

    I remember an occasion, about twenty years ago, when I was still a conservatory student, when a friend of a friend of mine, who was the leader of a rock band, but without much knowledge of music theory, asked my friend to ask me if I wouldn't mind answering a few questions for him.

    My friend, in a display of profound wisdom, replied that what would I know about rock; but his friend, giving him a life lesson, replied that, although I was not a rocker, I was (I am) a music professional and, therefore, who better than me to answer the questions he had, that, after all, they were theory and solfeggio.

    Finally, my friend understood that although there are different styles, at the end of the day, the theory of music is the same, so he agreed to ask me if I didn't mind helping his friend and, finally, I helped him.

    With this I mean that, as the title says, there are different styles of music, but, after all, it is music. There are not many different "musics", as many people think, but many styles.

Obviously, in a rock song you are not going to insert a Wagnerian sixth chord, but the tonic, subdominant and dominant relationships work, although with triad chords and the dominant seventh, exactly the same as in the other styles.

And you, what styles of music do you like? Tell me in the comments!

Comentarios